When the holiday hype has calmed down, loved ones have traveled home, and life has returned to normal, it’s time to take a look at the new year – and possibly, your plans for a new job. If finding a new job has made its way onto your list of New Year’s resolutions, this is the opportune time to start fresh. If you’re ready to say out with the old and in with the new, consider adding the following points to a separate list: your job search resolutions.
- Give your resume a makeover. If you haven’t updated your resume in the past three months, now is a great time to do so. Is everything up to date? Do you have anything new to add, or should anything old be removed?
- Link in, reach out, and get connected. Give your LinkedIn account the same detailed look through you give your resume and update accordingly. Once this is complete, move on to reaching out to connections. Join groups for your professional organizations and alumni associations. Engage in discussions, give recommendations, and connect in person whenever possible.
- Gather information. A multitude of job boards exist and sometimes, it can be overwhelming. Develop a system that works for you to effectively collect and organize job postings. Also, consider creating email alerts.
- Organize, organize, organize. Keep track of which jobs you’ve applied for, records of your contacts, and any other information pertinent to your job hunt. A great method is to create a spreadsheet detailing where you are in the process, including dates of resume submissions, phone interviews, and even when you sent your thank you cards. Keep a separate folder for each job you apply to with a copy of the original job posting on hand.
- Take stock. The beginning of a new calendar year is prime time for reassessing your career goals. What is your dream job? What skills would you like to build and further develop? How can you move towards your goals?
The new year is a great time for a fresh start or a fresh outlook. Whether you’re currently in the market for a new job or not, this is an excellent time to evaluate your career path, goals, and aspirations. If you’re ready to make your next career move, contact Staffers today to get started!